Monday 8 September 2014

Are Apple being taken for a ride or are we?



This is a strange one?  It opens a few questions and I'd love to know the real answer but I doubt i ever will. If what I've found out in the past few days is true then it's not just appalling but also down right stupid.
Being in charge of many MacBooks at work, and having just purchased another 50 or so I wanted to buy protective cases for all of them. Not wanting to pay 50 US$ for each case i looked to purchase locally.  Being in Asia this shouldn't have been too much of a problem as most cheap plastic accessories are no doubt made here right? Right!
Order made I was told I had to wait a few days as the cases had to be shipped in from Singapore...no big problem till customs got involved and refused to let the items into Thailand!  Why?  Because, the hole in the cases, or more importantly in the top case held an Apple logo!  Hello!!!  They're MacBook cases.
OK, I'll cut to the chase in case you're not with me yet.  I understand Apple wanting to protect their logo, but why the hell would Apple not want their product to be advertised?  I could, after all put a cover on my MacBook that said MICROSOFT IS BEST!  But instead i choose to show their little glowing Apple logo because I'm a proud Apple owner.
So what's gone wrong?
Well i see it pretty simply.  Either Apple have become so greedy over selling their own 50c plastic cases for 50 US$  that they've lost the plot, or they are being betrayed by copyright laws who are trying to protect them.
A 10 cent Apple logo car sticker created by some 'odd bod' company isn't seen as copyright infringement?  Why is a MacBook case that promotes the product within?
I know what I'm going to do....look out for my new cases on the market soon.  I guess we can say what ever we want as long as it doesn't promote Apple!

No comments:

Post a Comment